1.27.2009

Goodbye, sweet Lady :(

It is a very difficult time for us as we said goodbye to our precious doggy, Lady, yesterday. She lost her battle to go on and we pray she is now at peace in doggy heaven. We barely made it to the vet and they gave us a small private room to say goodbye as we knew in our hearts there wasn't anything else that could be done for her. My husband and I held her as she took her last breath. I whispered in her ear how much she has been loved and she could go home now - Grampy (my dad) was waiting for her there to welcome her home. He was always so crazy about her - they became fast friends in his time with us. She's such a special dog and was an important part of the family as well ~ we brought her home when our firstborn daughter was just months old so she would have a doggy to grow up with. We would have never imagined that we'd have a few more kids that would grow up with her as well. They are taking it so very, very hard - especially our 4 year old son. I don't know which one of us spent more time crying yesterday and I know this will be a rough week ahead. Our hearts are heavy. My friend Sandy shared with me last night the uplifting thought not to let my heart be heavy with undue grief - lift it up and be with her because God wanted her and set her free. I pray I can use that message to ease the pain and hurt I see when I look into my children's eyes as they know that the journey ahead will be one without her.
Rest is thine, sweet Lady -- you will be forever loved, sweetie!


This was always my favorite picture of her - she looks like she is smiling :*) Last night I was drawn to Psalm 91:1-2 ~ "He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust."

12 comments:

  1. Oh Kelly! My heart is so heavy for you and your family!! Our beloved pets do become a part of us and our families, and it is one of the hardest things in the world to let them go. Many of us have been where you are, and know how it feels to have to say goodbye to our trusted friends. Your lady was a beautiful, and she really does look like she's smiling in that picture. You obviously gave Lady a wonderful home full of love, and she was blessed to have such a loving and caring family to be a part of. My thoughts and prayers are with you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kelly, i'm so sorry to hear you lost your sweet baby Lady. Know that she is no longer suffering & will be with you always in your hearts.

    ((((((BIG HUGS))))))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly, I'm so sorry...she looked so full of joy and happiness, just like her momma. My heart is with you and your fam. Hugs, Kadie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Kelly! I am so sorry for all the hurt you and your family are experiencing. When I lost my childhood dog, it helped to just imagine him running free and playing, unencumbered by pain. Lady will always be with you, and I truly believe that we will be reunited with our canine families in Heaven.
    Grace and Peace be with you all.
    Hugs,
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sending lots of hugs your way! I had a dog growing up and we had him for 16 years before he left us!! Just remember the good times you had, those are the things that make you laugh:)
    hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1/27/2009

    Kelly - I'm sending you and your family all my thoughts and prayers in this difficult time. Losing a pet is like losing a member of the family, especially one that has been with you and grown with you and your children. I hope you can take comfort in the good memories and in knowing that she is pain free and in a better place. hugs to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kelly....like I said in my PM to you on SCS, I am so so sad for you and your family! Please take comfort knowing she is free from pain and in a happy place!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kelly I am so sorry for your family's loss of sweet Lady. She definitely look like she was a very happy and well loved puppy. {{{hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Kelly...I am SO sorry for the loss of your beloved Lady. I know how you're feeling right now...so my thought and prayers go out to you and your family. Granpy will be taking care of her now and they will both be watching your family.

    HUGS
    Gabby

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kelly, thank you for sharing your Lady with us. What wonderful pictures of this special dog. It's understandable why she was such an integral part of your family and why she is missed so much. ((((HUGS)))) to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kel, I know I left you love over on the Sisterhood, but I just had to post here after seeing your beautiful Lady's picture. She was lucky to have such a loving, caring family to call her own. Just think of the happy times she and Grampy are sharing!

    {{hugs}} to you & yours my sweet friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry about your dog! Loosing a pet is just like loosing a close family member. May you and your family members always have fond memories of her.

    ReplyDelete